Sunday, July 31, 2016

Shindigs, Food, and Spiders at Mass

Today was a very busy day! Jeff had to work (yes, even though it is a Sunday, it was his weekend to work at the energy plant) this morning and I had to cantor at the 10:30 Mass, so the big question was, who would look after Elliot?

I texted the in-laws, but even after no reply, I drove over in the hopes that maybe their phones were just off or on vibrate. Unfortunately, even knocking on the door yielded no results, so I called up Jeff and, panicked, told him there was a change of plans.

Jeff ended up bringing Elliot to work and strolling him around the college grounds while I went to church and sang. I had been so nervous before, but I was on pitch and sang loud and clear. Fr. Fred gave a moving homily about the vanities of this world, and how everyone cries for peace and love and still yet those who preach tolerance are merely preaching their own brand of re-education. The true path to peace, Fr. Fred said, is in Jesus. All answers will always lie within Jesus. Following in His ways will bring us great happiness, rather than the vanities of this world.

Some time during the Liturgy of the Eucharist, I noticed a spider the size of a quarter moving across the floor towards me. It fell off the step and hid beneath my kneeler. Then, of all things, right when I had to kneel down, the little fellow decided to fall off that step and head for my feet. In front of the whole church I swiftly sat up and smashed that arachnid to smithereens.

Quietly, of course. And as discreetly as possible.

After Mass I found out that the in-laws had taken charge of Elliot so that Jeff could finish his work at the plant. He was interrupted yet again when I asked him to pick me up! My poor husband! He came and got me and we drove back to the plant, where he finished his duties.

We met some friends for lunch at Al's Chickenette, a FANTASTIC restaurant specializing in - obviously - Southern-fried chicken. Oooooh, it was SO GOOD. Jeff used to hate eating there because they fried their chicken in lard, and it would cause his mouth to break out. However, now they are doing something completely different, and Jeff can eat without worrying! We both ordered large helpings of chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, hot rolls, and corn. I ate everything on my plate and had some ice-cream to top it all off. It was delicious!

After lunch, Jeff and I went home to freshen up. Our auntie was throwing a surprise party for her mom at 2:00, and we were invited to attend!

I think the party was a great success. Jeff and I were full from lunch, but we ate a little cake and chatted with relatives. Jeff's parents came over, bringing Elliot, and we gave him small bits of cake, Cheerio's, and some fruit. As a gift, everyone was getting their picture taken and added to a lovely scrapbook. It was then that I discovered the Instax camera - a darling little pink thing that produced instant pictures. The girl said she had found it on Amazon, so I think I'll look into getting one for myself! They are fairly inexpensive and easy to use. Plus, the pictures develop instantly, so you can use them later for scrapbooking!

After the party, Jeff and I attended yet ANOTHER party - the cast and crew party for the musical, of which Jeff was a vital part of. Jeff helped out with the sound production for the musical, practically doing all of it himself. And since families were able to attend, I came along with Elliot. He had so much fun playing in the park! He ate two large helpings of baby food and drank a lot of water before getting fussy.

At this point, I am trying to get him to sleep.

He was falling asleep in the car on the way home, so I thought a bath and a bottle of milk would finish him off, but of course it only revved him up for two more hours. He is now in his crib, cooing and talking to his stuffed panda.

Elliot's bedtime is usually determined by several factors, the most common being:

1. When his last nap was and how long he slept for.
2. How much energy he needs to get out of his system.
3. How tired mamma is.

I don't want to be one of those parents who allows their children to pick their own bedtime. I believe in regulation and scheduling, and I believe in the parent's right to set a decent bedtime for their little ones. Usually we keep to a strict schedule - anywhere between 7 and 9 is when Elliot will generally fall asleep. If he's especially wound up, I let him play before bed. But the norm for him is to fall asleep before or around 9:00. He will then sleep for anywhere between 10 and 12 hours straight.

Aren't I a lucky mamma?

No comments:

Post a Comment