Friday, July 10, 2015

Library Cards and Skin Ca


7/10/2015

TODAY I GOT A LIBRARY CARD!!!!

I can’t even begin to explain how IMPORTANT this is. Library cards are essential for anyone and everyone for access to free materials—books, movies, music, audiobooks, magazines, and sometimes even video games. Some libraries check out cake pans to their patrons, and others will check out toys and instruments. The WEALTH of information at someone’s disposal with a library card is immeasurable. I got books on tea, soup recipes, and Irish cooking. I COULD just search the internet, true, but browsing a computer screen does not afford a person the same luxury as browsing the pages of a book. The internet offers all kinds of distractions, while a book allows gentle perusing and the actual effort of reading and committing to memory the wording on the page. Reading a book is about education, and a library card is cheaper than going into a bookstore and making a purchase! (Though I will be the last person to deny that I’d rather spend money in a bookstore than a clothing department).

And YESTERDAY I started a new “skin care” routine.

This requires some background information. See, until this past Sunday, I was never one for “skin care” or makeup. I’m a simple person. For me, “skin care” was limited to showers, baths, shaving, and Special Occasions. I have no special diet and I don’t exactly have an exercise routine, either. By some miracle I’ve never had acne and as I pat my face now, my skin is neither oily nor dry and flaky. I do have freckles, which become more pronounced in the summer sun, but I don’t see them as an impediment to my natural beauty (although I have wished for porcelain-doll skin from time to time, it’s true). My husband adores me as I am; he finds my freckles cute and my low-maintenance habits a relief. My family tells me I have been blessed with lovely skin. Even as I take pleasure in the compliments, a long time ago I neither cared nor wondered why I received them. To me, skin care and makeup simply wasn’t something that fascinated me as it did other young ladies my age.

But this past weekend I suddenly felt the need to begin a regimen for my skin. I’m not sure why. It could be all these pregnancy hormones making me feel fat and unattractive. It could be those YouTube videos I can’t stop watching about how to achieve this or that cute look. It might also have to do with the idea that I take the worst selfies in the world and I wish to remedy that. Anyway, I went and bought myself some things with gift cards.

And thusly I began the daily process.

A shower is followed by the application of cocoa butter lotion—which, I have to say, is particularly nice. I hear that the benefits of cocoa butter are pleasing, particularly for pregnant women who are prone to stretch marks. Also, the scent is heavenly.

After dressing myself and brushing my teeth, I used a facial cleanser pad to exfoliate my face. After patting dry, I applied a primer, which also had sunscreen in the mix (because summer). That was followed by foundation followed by a powder to “set” everything. I also tried blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara, but the mascara made my eyes water and itch, so I don’t think that will be a thing on a regular basis. I applied some chapstick and lip gloss, twirled in the mirror, and felt much better about life.

Conclusions:
  1. Mascara is a no-no.
  2. Cocoa butter lotion is a must.
  3. The process with the facial cleanser and foundation is nice, but I think I would like to experiment with different colors of eyeshadow and a lighter shade of eyeliner for different results. *heads off to Pinterest*

Today’s simple meditation: There is a great deal of poetry and fine sentiment in a chest of tea.

 –Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment